I just wanted to sleep this morning, but I really need to get over the mountains before Friday. I am racing a storm. There are two storms coming, one on Friday and the other on Sunday. At lower altitudes, it shouldn’t be too bad, just some rain and gusty wind. Up in the mountains, the forecast is calling for rain, snow and winds gusting up to 100 miles per hour. If I don’t get over the mountains and at least half way down the other side by the time I finish riding on Thursday, I may be stuck up here until Monday.
The ride itself was pretty good. I actually enjoyed the climb. I think I like the Sierra Nevada Mountains more than the Rockies. They are really beautiful.
I only planned to get over the pass today, then finish the mountains tomorrow. I got to Kirkwood earlier than I thought I would. After taking a break, I thought I would continue and see how far I could get. When I got back on my bicycle, however, my legs said, “No.” Kirkwood is a big ski resort. Since it is the off season, there isn’t much open. The lodge offered me a couple of discounts, so I stayed there rather than look for a place to camp. I’m not sure my legs would have taken me to a campground anyway.