The storm yesterday was not quite as bad as I expected. There was a gusty wind and light rain most of the day. From what I heard, the higher elevations had it much worse with much stronger winds. I’m glad I made it down the mountains before it hit. I was still feeling Thursday’s long ride a bit, but needed to get back on the road.
After a good night’s sleep, I felt better in the morning. Even though I had crossed Carson Pass yesterday, I still had a couple of humps to get over before I started to descend. Once again, the mountains were beautiful and a pleasure to ride through.
I just wanted to sleep this morning, but I really need to get over the mountains before Friday. I am racing a storm. There are two storms coming, one on Friday and the other on Sunday. At lower altitudes, it shouldn’t be too bad, just some rain and gusty wind. Up in the mountains, the forecast is calling for rain, snow and winds gusting up to 100 miles per hour. If I don’t get over the mountains and at least half way down the other side by the time I finish riding on Thursday, I may be stuck up here until Monday.
Today I had to start climbing the last mountains I will climb on this trip. The highway went south along the east side of the mountains for several miles until crossing into California, then it turned west overt the mountains.